Monday, January 26, 2015

For the Love of Babies: Save Your Ca$h and Don't Buy This Stuff!

When I started compiling a list of products I loved, which I think I initially did because my sister, Ryan asked me to, I also started a list of things I found to be completely unnecessary. My mom says to me all the time "You know, we didn't have all this stuff when you were little and we survived". While that is true, a lot more mothers stayed at home 25-30 years ago (no, we are not going to discuss what age I will be turning later this year) and were not juggling a family and a full time job. Plus, who wants to turn away the conveniences and luxuries afforded to us these days? 

What I've determined though, is that some of these 'conveniences' or 'luxuries' are soooooo helpful and worth it, while others are just downright ridiculous. Okay, maybe they aren't all as ridiculous as I'm making it seem, but they definitely aren't necessary. So save your damn money, don't clutter up your house (huge problem in our home), get the stuff you really really need, and then a few of things you really really want. 

I know there are some people who will swear by these things, which is why I always say that what works or doesn't work for me might be totally different from you, but I thought I would at least share :).


PeePee TeePees: Most baby boy penises are not big enough to hold these up, and any parent knows that they certainly don't stay still long enough for it to do its job. I tried it once and never used it again. I'm actually not sure why I haven't thrown them away, I guess they’re cute and I was trying to give it a chance. Seriously though, throw a wipe on top 'til you can cover the little guy back up with a diaper, be quick and you won't get peed on :)

Wipe warmers: Seriously? Okay so I actually considered this when Luke was tiny because he would always startle when I wiped his butt with room temperature wipes...but ya know what, he got over it! Save your money and space!

Burp cloths advertised as burp cloths: The majority of burp cloths that I came across that were actually advertised or called burp cloths were awful. They either weren't absorbent, didn't lay flat, etc. See my Registry Must Haves post for info on the my favorite kind.

Diaper cream: As a pediatric nurse caring for extremely sick and fragile babies and children, I've come across some incredibly sore, excoriated/bleeding and painful bottoms. In my experience, putting ANY type of white (often zinc oxide) cream on these sore bottoms is a mistake. Whether it be Calmoseptine, Balmex, Desitin, Triple Paste, Boudreaux's Butt Paste or any other similar cream, I avoid it! Sure, they work as a preventative barrier, but once there is any skin breakdown/rash, I've never seen these products work well. Poop just ends up getting stuck in the cream, and you work/scrub harder to get the poop off (cause you definitely can't leave it there), that you end up causing further damage to the skin or perpetuating the rash. Some of my amazing coworkers and friends introduced me to a product that actually works, so check out my Registry Must Haves post.

Crib bedding: I'm not attacking any specific brand or type of bedding here, but let's break this down....You have a crib and a mattress (hopefully), then you throw a mattress pad on there to protect that mattress from all the pee and spit up, then you put a cute crib sheet on that mattress. Now you're done! You don’t need a crib bumper or baby quilt/blankets for the crib. Sure if you want the set to help 'decorate' the nursery, fine. But seriously, save your (or someone else's) money and just find a couple crib sheets you like, the rest is unnecessary and even unsafe. I have two crib sheets, and I’ve never felt like I needed more, but I’m also a frequent launderer.

Breastfeeding pillow/positioner: These days there are a bunch of differently shaped pillows advertised to help position the baby during breastfeeding, but what I discovered, is that the easiest, cheapest and most convenient thing to use is a regular old pillow! Save your money and just use what you already have, sure Boppys definitely come in handy for positioning the baby when they’re immobile, but not necessary for breastfeeding.


Still With Love,

Claudia ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment